70th Annual Conference
WAPOR Annual Conference
15-17 July 2017 • Lisbon, Portugal
Call for Participation
Deadline Extended: Wednesday, 18 January 2017, 11:59 pm GMT
The World Association for Public Opinion Research (WAPOR) will hold its 70th annual conference 15-17 July 2017 in Lisbon, Portugal. The WAPOR conference will convene immediately prior to and overlap with the first day of the European Survey Research Association (ESRA) conference. The conference committee welcomes proposals on topics related to public opinion broadly, especially those related to the conference theme.
Public Opinion and Policy-making
Recent technological developments have made it extremely easy for individuals to share their opinions, and persuade and mobilize others. Indeed, it is difficult to avoid mention or use of social media. Interestingly, while more and more citizens have access to means to express their opinions, more and more of them feel unrepresented and dissatisfied with political decision-making processes. They question their voice in the enactment of public policy, and they express disappointment and anger with the lack of responsiveness of political elites to public opinion. These deep feelings of discontent usually lead to bipolarization and surges of populism.
WAPOR welcomes paper and panel proposals that deal with these issues, namely questions of whether, when, where, and how public opinion matters in policy decisions. Papers can focus on different actors (citizens, political leaders, political parties, governments, interest groups, media, etc.) and contexts representing different levels of democratic development, participation and engagement (new and old democracies from different parts of the world).
Because public opinion touches all parts of society, WAPOR welcomes relevant submissions that focus on all aspects of public opinion. These topics include, but are not restricted to:
- Comparative research
- Consumer culture and market movements
- Cross-cultural concerns in data collection
- Measurement issues
- Media effects on public opinion
- Media, polling and electoral behavior
- News, journalism and public opinion
- Nonresponse and incentives
- Political culture and participation
- Polls and elections
- Public opinion theory and/or methods
- Sampling issues
- Social media, big data, sentiment analysis, and emerging technologies
- Survey research and questionnaire design
- Social, political, economic, and/or cultural issues
- Voting and elections
Proposals for the conference should be submitted electronically by Wednesday, 18 January 2017, 12:00am GMT. Only proposals submitted through this website will be considered.
Abstracts should not exceed 500 words. All submissions must be in English, and all accepted works are to be presented in English. WAPOR will accept only two types of submissions:
- Abstracts for individual research presentations generally include a description of the research project with specific research questions or hypotheses; methods; and results, if available at the time of submission.
- Abstracts for panel proposals typically comprise four presentations around a common theme. The submission of panel proposals requires that:(1) Each presenter submits his/her own individual abstract online (as above, for individual research presentations). NOTE: When submitting their abstract, individual panel presenters will need to select “no” when asked “is this a panel proposal?”AND(2) The panel organizer submits an “overview proposal” and selects “panel” as the type of submission. This submission should be titled “PANEL: [name of proposed session]” and the organizer will be asked to provide the names of authors and their respective paper titles after the session description. This separate panel submission could be done either before or after the separate abstracts have been submitted.
Note: Because all abstracts, even those submitted as part of panels, are evaluated independently, it is possible that some panels will not include all presentations proposed.
Submitters should receive a system-generated email confirmation of their submission within 24 hours. If this confirmation does not arrive, submitters should log back on to the site to verify that their proposal was accepted correctly in the system. All submitters will be notified of the conference committee’s decision by 15 February 2017.
Queries about the Conference
Abstract deadline: January 18, 2017 (11:59 pm GMT)
Notification of decisions: February 15, 2017
Final day to confirm participation: March 15, 2017
Registration opens: March 15, 2017
Last day for WAPOR hotel room rates: April 14, 2017 (after this date based upon availability)
Deadline for paper award submissions: May 15, 2017
Last day for early registration: June 22, 2017
About the Conference Site
The SANA Lisboa Hotel is ideally situated to explore the best that Lisbon has to offer. Situated in Avenida Fontes Pereira de Melo, a few steps from Praça do Marquês de Pombals, as well as from Picoas and Saldanha, the hotel is easily reached from the Lisbon airport. Enjoy walking around the streets in the hotel surroundings and breathe in the incredible atmosphere of Lisbon. Places outside of the city include the beaches of Cascais or the town of Sintra. WAPOR has secured room rates at the SANA Lisboa for €100-110 for conference attendees. More information about the hotel, along with a registration link, will be available soon.